Course Numbers: CZMT - 0790 and MEVS - 5100
This course deals with various forms of environmental pollution as they affect both the land and maritime environment. Focus on the role of microorganisms as causes and indicators of toxicity. Sources, measurement, and control of pollution in marine and coastal environments are discussed.
- have an understanding of the nature of pollution and its possible sources
- become familiar with analytical techniques and interpretation of results
- understand the use of fecal pollution indicators
- recognize the complex nature of harmful algal blooms
- have exposure to learn about local environmental agencies and their ongoing monitoring programs