Top of Page
Skip main navigation

International Students Admissions Requirements

The Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography welcomes students from all around the world. Masters students can participate and complete their master's program without having to travel to the United States.

research map

The map shows where our research is taking place around the globe

Additional admissions requirements for all international students

  • If the degree was completed outside of the United States, a course by course report for completed university level coursework from an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For current information on evaluation agencies, visit NACES.
  • An applicant whose native language is not English and did not graduate from an English speaking school is required to demonstrate English proficiency. The following standardized tests currently satisfy the University's English requirement for nonnative English speakers: (1) The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 550 on the paper based test, 213 on the computer based test, or 79 on the internet based test. (2) International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.0 on the test module. (3) Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: 54 on the test module. Test results must be sent directly from the testing agency to the Institute of Marine and Coastal Studies. Proof of English language competency can also be in the form of successful completion of a degree at an approved U.S. institution of higher education.

Information for international students – on-campus format

International applicants who apply for the on-campus programs must obtain an F-1 student visa. For more information, visit the university's Office of International Students

International applicants who will remain in their home country are not required to obtain a student visa.

For international applicants applying to our on-campus (in house) programs, please be aware of the following:

  • An I-20 cannot be issued to certificate, non-degree or provisional-admitted students.

For more information regarding procedures for obtaining a student visa, please contact the NSU Office of International Students.

Disclaimer: Information provided is for general information purposes only and are subject to change without advance notice. Changes in policies, procedures, requirements and regulations may be made without advance notice. The ultimate responsibility of knowing immigration regulations applicable to and all requirements imposed upon international students by Federal and State law and University and Office of International Students (OIS) rules and policies rests with students. For further clarifications or advising on a specific case, you must contact OIS.

Return to top of page