Course Numbers: OCOR - 5602
This class focuses on marine ecological processes and functions. It presents an overview of the basic concepts of marine ecology along with more detailed elements of the discipline including the diversity of marine ecosystems, trophic relationships, ecological roles, and nutrient cycling and biogeochemistry.
- Review relevant concepts of the physical ocean.
- Review basic concepts of ecology with an emphasis on those relevant to the marine environment.
- Understand energy flow within a marine ecosystem and relevant processes.
- Understand nutrient cycles in the ocean.
- Understand the importance of marine microbes and microbial food chains.
- Apply the above concepts to specific ecosystems.
- Develop experience reviewing scientific literature and leading discussions of technical topics.
Winter 2016 Syllabus
Oceanography Library Course Guide